Saving water at work
Water is a valuable resource but we often take it for granted. By conserving water we can protect this resource, along with reducing water and energy bills.
Remember if you haven’t measured it, you can't manage it.
Guidance for staff
- Report leaking taps, toilets and showers to the maintenance department.
- Do not leave any equipment that uses water running when not in use.
- Put on dishwashers with a full load and do not overfill kettles.
- Only use hot water when necessary to save energy.
- Look out for any opportunities to save water - do not assume someone else has identified the opportunity.
- Be mindful of your water use - turn off taps when brushing teeth or shaving.
Guidance for maintenance managers
- Monitor your water use on a regular basis.
- Calculate your water use and compare it with similar healthcare facilities.
- Check your site for water leaks.
- Use an online data logger, installed on your internal sub-meter or mains meter, to check your daily water use.
- Install sub-meters, which allow you to record water use in specific zones.
- Complete a survey of the main fixtures and fittings.
- Compare your hospital with national best practice benchmarks.
- Compare your main fixtures and fittings to best practice flow rates.
- Examine the supply pressure of water throughout your site.