This section of the website sets out some top tips for engagement that we’ve found helpful based on what staff tell us and our research on engagement. You may also find this introductory presentation on staff engagement for quality improvement helpful. Please click here.
As you focus on engagement, think about what makes you feel valued. If it’s important to you, it is likely that it’s important to people who work in our service.
We recommend that each team uses these prompt questions as a starting point in their engagement work. The list can be adapted as needed. Ideally, leaders discuss these with teams to identify what is working well or if there are suggestions for improving engagement in each of these areas. Leaders also reflect on how they personally respond to these questions. This insight is invaluable to them.
We’ve learned that leaders who engage staff do the following:
- Ask, listen and hear - know what’s important to staff
- Act with integrity
- Value staff ideas - create space for creativity and innovation
- Include staff - share the decision making
- Communicate with staff - tell them what’s happening
- Trust staff - relinquish control safely
- Be there to help staff, make it happen
- Say thank you!!!
What can you do to make a difference today? It might be as simple as saying thank you. Best of luck!
For some staff engagement tips that you can print, please click here. To learn more about our work with services click here
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries!
- Maureen Flynn, Quality Improvement Team Lead Governance and Staff Engagement for Quality | 01 635 2344
- Juanita Guidera, Quality Improvement Team Lead Staff Engagement | 087 064 23 08
- Lisa Toland, Quality Improvement Team Microsystems Facilitator | 076 6956946
- Noemi Palacios, Quality Improvement Team Administrator | 01 8131808
Follow us on twitter for more ideas:
#engaginghealthstaff #SchwartzRounds #LiberatingStructures #culturalchange
People Caring with People - Engage Listen Inspire Act Share
Creating an organisation where together we have the potential and power to make a positive difference
Return to home page