Support for people with disabilities

This page is available in other languages:

Ukrainian - Підтримка осіб з обмеженими можливостями
Russian - Поддержка людей с ограниченными возможностями

Adults and children with disabilities in Ireland can get support to live in and be part of their community.

We provide support for people with:

  • intellectual disabilities
  • autism spectrum disorder
  • difficulties with seeing (blind or visually impaired)
  • difficulties with hearing
  • difficulties with walking
  • difficulties with feeding or dressing

The services we provide can include:

  • visits from a public health nurse (PHN)
  • home help or personal assistance
  • psychological services
  • speech and language therapy
  • occupational therapy
  • social work services
  • physiotherapy
  • daycare or respite care

There are waiting lists for some services. How long you wait depends on the type of support you need and the demand for services in your area.

Accessing disability services

You can make your own referral to the following disability services.

Making a referral to children’s disability services

Children’s disability services can help your child develop skills they can use at home or in school.

To refer your child to a children’s disability service, do the following:

  1. Complete the Children’s Services Referral Form (PDF, 106 KB, 11 pages).
  2. Complete the additional information form for your child’s age group.
  3. Send the forms to the children's disability service in your area.

Making a referral for day services for adults

Day services include activities and training courses that support adults with disabilities to live and work in the community.

To access day services for adults, do the following:

  1. Complete the HSE Referral Form (size 218.9 KB, 3 pages).
  2. Send the form to the disability day service office in your area.

Support organisations

Waiting lists for some disability services can be long. There are other organisations that can provide information and support.

Organisations for people with disabilities and their families

Organisations for carers

Find information about special needs education on

Advocacy services

The National Advocacy Service for People with Disabilities (NAS) is an organisation that helps adults with disabilities. It provides a free and confidential advocacy service. Advocacy services support people with disabilities to make decisions, say what they want and get services they need.

Visit the NAS website

To request International Sign Language interpreters, contact the Irish Deaf Society.


Phone or text: 086 440 1443

Financial support

You may be entitled to financial support and allowances. Contact your local Intreo office for more information.

Information on where to get social welfare supports - on