We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set optional cookies (analytical, functional and YouTube) to enhance and improve our service. You can opt-out of these cookies. By clicking “Accept All Cookies” you can agree to the use of all cookies.

Cookies Statement and Privacy Statement

Import Controls

Import Controls

The Environmental Health Service (EHS) is responsible for import controls on  Food Products of Non-Animal Origin, Food Contact Materials, Cosmetic Products and Tobacco and Tobacco Related Products entering the State from third countries (from outside the European Union).

What are the Controls on Import of Food Products of Non-Animal Origin?

Under Regulation (EU) 2017/625, food imports of non-animal origin from third countries are risk assessed and inspected by Environmental Health Officers at Dublin seaport and Dublin airport. In addition, increased levels of controls, including examination and/or sampling, are required on specific products. These can only be imported through a Designated Point of Entry (DPE) or Designated First Points of Introduction (DFPI). In Ireland the Designated Points of Entry are currently (listed on the Food Safety Authority of Ireland website) Dublin Port and Dublin Airport only.  

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland maintains an up to date list of legislation regarding the importation of foodstuffs including a list of current products provided for in the legislation which is available here:



There is a food imports training module available on the FSAI website. Please click on the link below to access this module



Foods of Non Animal Origins and Food Contact Material which are subject to increased checks at our BCPs must be notified to the HSE EHS at least 24 hours in advance of arrival via importcontroldublin@hse.ie and must also be submitted on TRACES NT.

Food Business Operators, Consignees or Shipping Agents working on their behalf must register with TRACES NT and create and submit Part I of the CHED.D on TRACES NT which will be validated by the HSE if all checks carried out are satisfactory.

You can find more information on how to register for TRACES NT via the following link: https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/cfcas3/tracesnt-webhelp/Content/D_User%20Management/request-an-access-profile-in-TRACES.NT.htm

Please contact importcontroldublin@hse.ie for more information and guidance on registering and using TRACES NT.

What are the Controls on Import of Cosmetic Products?

The Cosmetics Regulation (EC) No. 1223/2009 as amended, and the European Union (Cosmetic Product) Regulations 2013 (SI 440 of 2013), lay down the legal requirements for the placing of cosmetic products on the market in the Republic of Ireland.

Further information is available here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/cosmetic-products-legislation.html 

What are the Controls on Import of Tobacco and Tobacco Related Products?

Detailed information on the import of Tobacco and Related Products is available here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/tobaccocontrol/tobaccoproductdirective/

What type of information is required to import any of these products?

A copy of each of the following documents:

  • Bill of Lading
  • Commercial Invoice
  • Packing List
  • Single Administrative Document (SAD)
  • Consignee details
  • Delivery address
  • Location in Seaport/Airport
  • Any available certificates, declarations or analytical reports should also be included (these may be mandatory for products subject to increased controls)

Where are the Health Service Executive’s Border Control Posts (BCPs)?

Products subject to increased official controls can only be imported through a Border Control Point (BCP). Food Safety Authority of Ireland maintains a list of these on their website: https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/imports_non_animal_origin/intro.html

Where can I get further information?

  • For further information on importing the above products through Dublin Seaport or Dublin Airport contact Dublin Specialist Section Environmental Health Service at: importcontroldublin@hse.ie
  • For further information on importing the above products through Rosslare contact Rosslare Environmental Health Service at: importcontrolrosslare@hse.ie
  • For further information on importing the above products through Cork Seaport or Cork Airport contact Cork South Lee Environmental Health Service at: corkporthealth@hse.ie
  • For further information on importing the above products through Shannon Airport contact Clare Environmental Health Service at: clareporthealth@hse.ie

What to do if I am exporting foods to a third country from a HSE notified business?

Information at can be found here https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/ehs-export-certificates.html