These services are provided to people who through illness or disability are in need of support or changes to their lifestyle. Occupational Therapists can advise on any changes that may be needed in the home to support a person with special needs, and on activities that will help a person to regain their independence.
Primary Care Occupational Therapy Children Phone: (028) 40558
Please visit Occupational Therapy for children, young people and adults Cork Kerry Primary Care for details on the service and how to refer.
Community Physiotherapy services are provided from the Local Health Office, helping people who have suffered an injury or illness to regain their health or mobility through exercise and movement. Tel: (028) 40595
Speech and Language Therapy
What is the Primary Care Speech & Language Therapy service?
The primary care speech & language therapy (SLT) service is available to children and adults living in the West Cork area who have developmental or acquired speech, language, voice and /or eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
How do I know if I am eligible for the service?
- There is no upper or lower age limit for eligibility to receive primary care SLT services.
- You do not need to have a medical card, GP visit card or Long Term illness card to access the service.
- It is a free service provided by the HSE.
- Clients who are under the care of a specialist service are not eligible to access primary care SLT services i.e.Network Disability Team, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) or acute hospital services.
- All referrals to primary care SLT are screened for eligibility and suitability and will be accepted if they meet the criteria outlined.
- If a referral does not appear to be appropriate for primary care SLT services, the referrer/parent/carer/client will be contacted by an SLT and requested to provide further details. A referral to a more appropriate service may need to be discussed and recommended.
How do I make a referral?
Referrals can be made by completing the relevant form (see links at the side of this page):
Please return the completed form by post to: Speech & Language Therapy Department, Coolnagarrane, Skibbereen, Cork
If you have any referral queries, please phone: 028 40433
SLT clinics are held in the following locations:
Skibbereen, Dunmanway, Bantry, Castletownbere, Clonakilty