These services are provided to people who through age, illness or disability are in need of support or changes to their lifestyle. Occupational Therapists can advise on any changes that may be needed in the home to support a person with special needs, and on activities that will help a person to regain their independence. Tel: Laois (057) 862 1135 or Offaly (057) 934 1301
Community Physiotherapy services are provided from the Local Health Office, helping people who have suffered an injury or illness to regain their health or mobility through exercise and movement. Tel: Laois (057) 862 1364; Offaly (057) 932 1501
Speech and Language Therapy Services
Speech and Language Therapy Services are provided for children and adults who need help developing their speech or who have had difficulty in this area.
Tel: Laois (057) 8696945, (057) 9319598; Offaly (057) 934 1301
The Community Nutrition and Dietetic Service
The Community Nutrition and Dietetic service is a community based service that aims to improve the nutritional status of the population of Laois/Offaly.
This is achieved via a combination of clinical work and health promotion activities. In the midlands the head office is located in Mullingar but we have satellite offices in Athlone, Tullamore, Birr & Portlaoise
Examples of programmes
- XPERT programme - which is a 6 week group programme for individuals with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Nutrition counselling to adult and paediatric clients within primary care teams on conditions such as overwieght/obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer.
- Nutrition support to clients and parents in the early intervention teams.
- Nutrition service to elderly homebound clients via homecare packages.
- Health professional training to public health nurses & GPs in areas such as infant nutrition, PEG feeding, diabetes and oral nutritional supplement use.
- Health promotion projects within primary schools and disadvantaged groups.
The service is provided by community dietitians who are members of the INDI.
For all the latest news go to the HSE News Centre
Community Nutrition & Dietetic Service,
HSE DUBlin Mid-Leinster,
Marlinstown Office Park,
Telephone: 044 93 53220
Fax: 044 93 53225