Physical and sensory disability services are delivered directly and in partnership with a wide range of voluntary service providers. Initial contacts regarding service provision can be made through the Local Health Office or Community Services office.
Tel: (061) 461 136
Disability Services Directorate
Tel: (061) 461 360
Vocational Training Services
Training Centre, Dooradoyle, Limerick Tel: (061) 482 469
Training Centre, Gortboy, Newcastle West Tel: (069) 61477
Rehabilitative Training aims to facilitate people with disabilities to acquire the skills necessary to live an independent life as chosen in the community.
Rehabilitative Training Centres
Training Services Limerick, Dooradoyle, Limerick Tel: (061) 482 469
Training Services Gortboy, Gortboy, Newcastle West Tel: (069) 61477
Mid West Community Neuro-Rehabilitation Team (CNRT)
The Mid West Community Neuro-Rehabilitation Team (CNRT) currently provide a therapy service for people aged 18-65 years with a diagnosed neurological condition living in Limerick, Clare and North Tipperary. Some examples of the neurological conditions seen include: acquired brain injury, stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, spinal cord injuries, cerebellar ataxia and Friedreich's ataxia, among others.
The team consists of a:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech and Language Therapist
- Clinical Psychologist
- Rehabilitation Assistant
- Clerical Officer
The service is an out-patient, appointment based service. It offers individual, group, single and joint therapy sessions. Therapy is provided mainly in the rehabilitation centre but can also take place in the community or at home. Clients can attend the centre from two to four times per week for a potential of 12 weeks. The treatment is flexible and individually tailored to support the client in working towards the achievement of their identified goals. The treatment period can also include breaks in therapy (usually between 2-4 weeks.) This aids in consolidating the person's abilities and increasing their independence.
Clients or their families can make a self- referral to the service or be referred by a healthcare professional.
In order to obtain a service from the CNRT the referral must determine that the individual:
- Have a diagnosed primary neurological condition that is acquired or progressive (excluding dementia)
- Be aged between 18-64 (if the person turns 65 after being accepted onto the waiting list they will be seen)
- Have a permanent address within the boundaries of Limerick, Clare and North Tipperary
- Require at least two areas of intensive intervention from the team (i.e. Speech and Language, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Clinical Psychology)
- Be able to benefit from and participate in an intensive period of rehabilitation
- Be medically stable
- Be able to access transport to attend the service
- Be in agreement with the referral to the team
- Be able to attend at least twice a week for up to a maximum of 12 weeks
Tel: (061) 483982
Mid West Community Neuro-Rehabilitation Team,
St Camillus' Hospital,