The Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) is situated alongside the postnatal ward in the maternity unit of Cavan General Hospital.
The role of SCBU is caring for all infants delivered who are sick or who have more than routine care requirements. There were over 330 admissions to the unit in 2013.
The unit is staffed by experienced paediatric and neonatal nurses and midwives, and supported by specialist paediatric registrars and paediatric consultants that are available 24 hours a day.
The SCBU accommodates:
· Three fully serviced intensive care cot spaces and three fully serviced high-dependency cot spaces, including one isolation space.
· A private and quiet room for mothers to feed and express milk for their babies and for parents to bond with their baby.
· A dedicated hostel room within the SCBU where parents can stay overnight when needed.
· A small waiting area adjacent to SCBU.
· Climate-controlled air conditioning, which gives a more comfortable environment for staff, parents and babies.
· Enhanced hand washing facilities.
· Equipment cleaning and storage space.
· Office space.
· A seminar room for staff education and staff meetings.
The aims of the SCBU is to provide a high standard of holistic care for unwell and premature newborn infants and their families; to ensure all care is individualised and developmentally supportive for each infant so that they may achieve their maximum potential; and to provide support and education to parents and families by their inclusion and involvement in the care of their babies, and by facilitating communication with all team members.
The SCBU in Cavan General Hospital has developed a working partnership with the Rotunda Hospital in Dublin and Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda. This is called the Dublin North East (DNE) Neonatal Network. The purpose of the Neonatal Network is to ensure very premature and sick infants are cared for in the best possible environment and to ensure neonatal care is provided to a very high and consistent standard throughout the DNE region.
In recent years the SCBU was newly constructed to replace a previous smaller unit. A significant contribution towards funding the development of this new unit came from donated funds which were fundraised in the Cavan/Monaghan area.