Connecting for Life - Midlands, Louth, Meath CHO
Suicide prevention and awareness training
A wide range of free suicide prevention and awareness training programmes is available across Midlands Louth Meath CHO.
- Find or book an upcoming training programme in Laois, Offaly, Longford or Westmeath
- Find or book an upcoming training programme in Louth or Meath
- For more information contact HSE Resource Officers for Suicide Prevention
Information leaflets and booklets
A range of national information booklets and leaflets on suicide, self-harm, suicide bereavement and mental health are available freely. To order copies, browse the 'Mental Health' and 'Bereavement' topics on www.healthpromotion.ie
Additional items that are relevant to Midlands Louth Meath CHO are also available below. You can contact the relevant HSE Resource Officers for Suicide Prevention for copies of these.
- Some Is Always There to Listen to You (A6 Poster) - details of emergency and mental health supports and services, and training, across Midlands, Louth and Meath
- Help and Support Information Card, Laois (Wallet card) - details of services and supports in Laois
- Help and Support Information Card, Offaly (Wallet card) - details of services and supports in Offaly
- Help and Support Information Card, Longford Westmeath (Wallet card) - details of services and supports in Longford and Westmeath
- Help and Support Information Card, Louth Meath (Wallet card) - details of services and supports in Louth and Meath
Connecting for Life
In May 2023 over fifty professionals from statutory, community and voluntary services attended the launch of the Connecting for Life Midlands Louth Meath CHO Suicide Prevention Action Plan 2023 – 2024. The online launch was opened by Anne Kennedy (Head of Finance (Acting Chief Officer)), who spoke about how the Action Plan was developed in line with the specific objectives and actions set out in the national Connecting for Life strategy. Anne highlighted how the Action Plan complements other national policies relevant to suicide prevention, mental health and wellbeing. It also reflects a number of the principles outlined in Sharing the Vision, a Mental Health Policy for Everyone (2020), which focuses on the provision of recovery-focused integrated mental health services and approaches in Ireland.
Dervila Eyres (Head of Mental Health Services), stated that “Every death by suicide is a tragedy and the impact of suicide on families and communities is deep and prolonged”, and that this ‘captured the essence of why the Action Plan is so important to the people and communities of Laois, Offaly, Longford, Westmeath, Louth and Meath’.
An implementation process (led by the HSE) will include Bi-County Local Implementation Groups being set up to implement and deliver – in an integrated and coordinated way – on the commitments and actions included in the Action Plan. All 44 actions are aligned to the seven goals in Connecting for Life: Improved understanding; Empowered communities; A focus on priority groups; Improved access to support; High Quality services; Reduced access to means; and Better data and research. Three key messages from the Action Plan were emphasised by the Resource Officers for Suicide Prevention at the launch:
- Suicide Prevention is Everyone’s Business – which highlighted the need for everyone to be aware of those who may be in need of support and the value of signposting them to ongoing supports and services.
- What Can I Do To Keep You Safe For Now? – which highlighted the various free accredited training programmes provided by the HSE and having sensitivity in relation to language regarding suicidal behaviour.
- Someone is Always There to Listen –which highlighted the various services provided directly by the HSE and those services funded by the HSE –including those that operate outside office hours, i.e. 24/7 phone lines and text support services.
Copies of the Connecting for Life Midlands Louth Meath CHO Suicide Prevention Action Plan 2023 – 2024 and a recording of the launch, are available from your local Resource Officer for Suicide Prevention.