Changing Lives for the Better - National Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Primary Care Counselling in Ireland
The HSE Counselling in Primary Care (CIPC) provides short-term counselling for clients experiencing mild to moderate psychological problems.
'Changing Lives for the Better' details the HSE NCS national evaluation of CIPC service.
This research included an evaluation of:
- The effectiveness of CIPC counselling
- The impact of counselling at 6 and 12 months
- GP experiences of the CIPC service
- Client views of CIPC
- The relationship between counselling and prescription of psychotropic medication
- 2,824 clients took part in the study.
- 72% of participants improved or recovered and had an improved quality of life after counselling.
- 92% of clients described the counselling they received as very effective. : “Counselling has changed my life for the better I can handle anything that life throws at me.” CIPC client
- Over 90% of CIPC referrals are from GPs.
- 80% of GPs surveyed for the report considered counselling beneficial.
- A majority of GPs recommended further expansion of CIPC: ”We need more schemes like CIPC. Some of my patients have improved beyond belief”
Read 'Changing Lives for the Better'
Changing Lives for the Better Exec Summary June 2022
Changing Lives for the Better CIPC Full Report
CIPC National Evaluation Report - Phase 1