Long Stay Contributions

What is a Residential Support Services Maintenance and Accommodation Contribution (long stay contribution)?

A long-stay contribution is an affordable contribution towards your maintenance and accommodation costs in certain HSE, or HSE-funded, residential settings. These include nursing and non-nursing settings where accommodation is provided or where upkeep costs (for example, food and utility bills) are funded by or on behalf of the HSE.

What settings do long-stay contributions apply to?

The settings where long-stay contributions apply include:

  • residential accommodation in the mental health or disability sectors, and, to a lesser extent,
  • convalescent homes, hospitals (while not receiving acute care) and nursing homes (including older people’s units but excluding nursing home services supported under the Fair Deal Scheme).

I have a medical card. Do I have to make a long stay contribution?

Yes. Long-stay contributions apply to people with or without a medical card. Your contribution does not go towards the care you require.

Who does the long-stay contribution not apply to?

You do not have to make a long-stay contribution if you are receiving acute in-patient care or long term residential care services supported by the Nursing Homes Support Scheme (Fair Deal). You do not have to make a long-stay contribution for a day when you do not stay in the accommodation.

What does your contribution go towards?

Your contribution goes towards your maintenance and accommodation costs. It might cover costs such as those for:

  • your room or a room you share;
  • cooking facilities,
  • heat, light or waste disposal;
  • groceries or meals depending on your needs.

What factors are considered when deciding my contribution?

The amount you must contribute will vary based on three factors:

1. Your income – including any payments you receive from the Department of
Social Protection.
2. Your essential outgoings (expenses) – making sure that what you
contribute will be within your means and takes account of your and your
dependants’ needs.
3. Where you live – Category A, B or C accommodation.

  • Category A accommodation (24 hour medical or nursing care).
  • Category B accommodation (weekly medical or nursing care on a less than
                         24 hour basis).
  • Category C accommodation (all other accommodation such as independent
                         living settings).

How will I know what I have to contribute?

Your service provider will help you figure out how much you have to contribute based
on your weekly income and outgoings. You will have an individual assessment to
make sure that the amount you have to contribute is correct. If you wish to be
considered for a waiver (reduction or setting aside of your standard contribution), you
will need to provide details of:

  • relevant income (such as disability allowance, pension, salary, and so on),
  • essential outgoings (such as mortgage payments or other essential

After your assessment, your service provider will write to tell you what you must
contribute and how you can pay the contribution. Your service provider will support
you in this process. You should contact them if your circumstances change.

How can I afford the contribution? If my only income is from the Disability
Allowance, how much will I have to contribute?

To make sure that your contribution is affordable, the maximum you can be required
to contribute each week (from 29 April 2019) is:

  • €179 – if you are in Category A accommodation (24 hour medical or nursing
        care) and your weekly income is €223 or more;
  • €134 – if you are in Category B accommodation (weekly medical or nursing
        care on a less than 24 hour basis) and your weekly income is €209 or more;
  • €74 – if you are in Category C accommodation (all other accommodation such as independent living) and your income is €203 or more.

If your income is lower, the contribution you must pay will also be lower. If your only income is the Disability Allowance of €203 a week (rate from March 2019), the most you will contribute each week is €159 (in Category A accommodation), €124 (Category B) or €74 (Category C). If you have essential expenses which you must meet and would find it difficult to afford the standard contribution rate for your income, you may ask your service provider to have some or all of your contribution waived (reduced or set aside).

Will I have any money left each week for my own use?

Yes, you will always be able to keep some money from your weekly income for your personal use. You will be able to keep at least:

  • €44 – if you live in Category A accommodation;
  • €75 – if you live in Category B accommodation; or
  • €129 – if you live in Category C accommodation.

What can I do if I am unhappy with the amount I have to contribute?

If you are unhappy with the level of your contribution, you can:

  • ask for the decision to be corrected if a mistake has been made in your assessment;
  • ask for a the decision to be updated if your circumstances have changed;
  • appeal in writing to the HSE National Appeals Office, An Clochar, Ballyshannon Health Campus, College Street, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal F94 TPX4; or
  • write to the Office of the Ombudsman if you are still unhappy – Office of the Ombudsman, 18 Lr Leeson St, Dublin 2, D02 HE97.

Financial assessment form

National RSSMACs General Implementation Guidelines

RSSMAC easy to read leaflet

RSSMAC outcome letter

RSSMAC invitation to assessment document

RSSMAC waiver guidelines

RSSMAC short guide to long stay contributions 

Worked examples relating to waivers 

Frequently Asked Questions about Waivers (size 195 KB)

Long Stay Contributions Frequently Asked Questions.pdf (size 323.5 KB)

Long Stay Contributions FAQ Appendices.pdf (size 153.9 KB)