Accessing mother and baby home records

You can access individual records if you:

  • were born in a Mother and Baby Home, County Home, religious order, private facilities, or another institution
  • were adopted
  • were boarded out
  • had an illegal birth registration
  • were placed in other care arrangements

Find advice on how to access this information -

You can access your own, or someone can do it on your behalf.

Access to personal information -

How to access these records

To access records you must request them through either:

This is under the Birth Information Tracing Act.

Other records held by the HSE

To access your own health records that are not related to adoption you can make a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

Data protection notice

The Health Service Executive (HSE) complies with all applicable data protection legislation. The purpose of this privacy notice is to explain how we collect and use personal information to support the Tracing Service in compliance with the Birth Information and Tracing Act 2022.

View our Privacy Statement