Disability Services - Community and Social Care

The HSE provides and funds a range of services for people with disabilities and their carers. These services include basic health services as well as assessment, rehabilitation, income maintenance, community care and residential care respite, home care and daycare.

Some services are provided directly by the HSE. Community, residential and rehabilitative training services are provided by voluntary organisations with grant aid from the HSE.

Health services for people with a Disability

People with disabilities are entitled to general health services. These services may include medical Cards, prescribed drugs and medicines, medical and surgical aids and appliances, hospital services, dental, optical and aural services.

Community care services

People with disabilities are entitled to avail of the range of community care services. In many cases, they have priority in access to the services. The relevant community care services may include public health nurse, home help, personal assistance, psychological services, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, social work services, physiotherapy, daycare and respite.

Early Intervention

The early intervention team is for children, aged 0-6 years, and their families who have complex developmental needs. Depending on your locality, early intervention is available for children aged 0-5 years as these areas would have a school-age team in place. Please refer to your local primary care team for further information. The team comprises of an occupational therapist, clinical or educational psychologist, physiotherapist, social worker and speech and language therapist.

Are you a family carer?

‘A family carer is described as someone who is providing an ongoing significant level of care to a person who is in need of care in the home due to illness or disability or frailty.’ The care that family and other carers provide involves looking after the needs of people with a wide range of dependencies across all age groups.

If you are caring for a person with a disability you can find out more about being a carer and the supports available

Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Page

Cost of Disability Survey

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEAS) is carrying out a research study into the cost of disability.

Find out more about the Cost of Disability Survey.

View the Cost of Disability Survey