Consultants in Public Health Medicine/Medical Officers of Health in Departments of Public Health provide expertise, leadership, support and advice on environment and health issues in Ireland, including risks from biological, chemical and radiological hazards.
They formed the Public Health Medicine Environment and Health Group (PHMEHG) to assist them in the implementation of the Medical Officer of Health (MOH) function at regional and national level by:
- Providing a forum for sharing of Public Health Medical expertise on environmental public health hazards in Ireland
between Consultants in Public Health Medicine in the Departments of Public Health
- Supporting the provision of consistent evidence-based advice from Departments of Public Health to national bodies
and agencies as required.
The PHMEHG produces:
- Guidance on the public health management of environment and health incidents
- Submissions on behalf of the Departments of Public Health on environmental matters that may affect health.
- Position Papers on environment and health topics.
- Annual Reports: 2016 2017 2020 2021
Click on the topics below for general information on significant environment and health areas: