If you are new to the ACCES Team, the first time you meet us will usually be at a new patient appointment. Two members of the multidisciplinary team will see you in a place that is comfortable for you.
How do I get an appointment?
You can be referred to us by your GP, another mental health team, hostel manager or community support service.
How soon will I get seen?
The waiting time for an appointment varies depending on your particular mental health difficulty and our availability.
Useful things to have ready before your visit
It can be helpful to have:
- A list of any medications you’re currently taking (both prescription and over the counter)
- Your Medical Card Number
- Your PPS Number
- Your mobile and landline numbers
- Mobile and landlines numbers for your support worker
- Name and address of your GP (if you have one)
- Housing information
Can somebody else be present with me?
Having a key worker, family member or friend can be good for support and to help you provide information.
Who will I see first?
You will see a psychiatrist and another member of the multidisciplinary team.
How long will it take?
You should allow roughly 1 hour for the first visit.
What kinds of questions will they ask me?
They will ask you how you’re feeling now, how you’ve been feeling recently and how you came to be referred.
They will also ask about:
- Your mental health
- Your background
- Family history
- Housing history
- Drug and alcohol use
- Current medication
- Your medical history
- Any previous treatment if you’ve had any
Questions to ask
Here are some questions you might like to ask your team at your appointment
What happens next?
We’ll discuss your diagnosis and treatment options with you in detail.
- refer you back to your GP with recommendations for treatment.
- give you a key worker.
- offer you a further appointment.
- refer you to another member of the multidisciplinary team for further assessment or treatment.
- link you to other services in the community.
I want to change my appointment, what should I do?
Contact us as soon as possible. We’ll offer your appointment to another person and give you a new date and time to see us. It is important to cancel the appointment if you are not going to keep it.