Oral nutritional supplements
Reimbursement of standard oral nutritional supplements
From 1 July 2019, the Primary Care Reimbursement Service is introducing changes to the reimbursement of standard oral nutritional supplements (ONS) on the Community Drug Schemes. These changes are in line with the Standard Oral Nutritional Supplements First-line Prescribing List for Adults Living in the Community (2019).
There is no change to the reimbursement of ONS unless the product is on List B
Non first-line standard ONS products (List B) will require prior reimbursement approval for dispensing on the Community Drug Schemes.
First-line standard ONS products (List A) which are nutritionally comparable to List B products will not require reimbursement approval.
This initiative will apply to both new and existing patients.
- Summary of reimbursement information for prescribers
- Questions and Answers for healthcare professionals
- Patient information
Standard ONS prescribing guidance and dietary resources
HSE Primary Care and the Medicines Management Programme (MMP) have developed guidance to promote the appropriate prescribing of standard oral nutritional supplements (ONS) for adults living in the community as part of a nutrition supports online toolkit.
The nutrition supports online toolkit is available here
The toolkit includes the following information and resources:
For healthcare professionals
- Prescribing Pathway and List for the Initiation and Renewal of Standard Oral Nutritional Supplements (ONS) for Adults Living in the Community
- Guidance for Prescribing ONS in Late Stages of Palliative Care in the Community Setting
- Making the most of every bite - A high protein, high calorie diet sheet
- Making the most of every bite - A high protein, high calorie cookbook (©UCC provided under special licence agreement to the HSE)
- How to use oral nutritional supplements - A guide for adult patients, their carers and families
- When illness reduces your appetite - Information and guidance for patients in palliative care, their families and carers
The purpose of the prescribing guidance below is to assist in improving the quality of care provided to adults who are malnourished or at risk of malnutrition by providing prescribers with a best practice ONS Prescribing Pathway for the appropriate initiation and renewal of ONS prescriptions.