Contact details to access the National Traveller Mental Health Service
Phone: 01 8721094 (Monday – Friday between the hours of 9AM – 5PM, 4PM on Fridays)
The National Traveller Mental Health Service provided by Exchange House has two main elements to its delivery;
1. Suicide Prevention & Mental Health Promotion
This aspect of the service works with Traveller groups such as community and residents groups and Traveller organisations and services, including Primary Healthcare Projects and Traveller Action Groups. This service promotes and supports the development of initiatives which
- reduce the stigma associated with mental health
- promotes suicide prevention
- collaboration with a wide range of services and groups
- inclusion of Travellers in designing the service
Examples of some of Exchange House promotion initiatives include conferences, sports events, creative arts projects and faith based groups.
2. Direct Mental Health Support
This supports individual recovery plans with Travellers experiencing mental health issues. The service offers;
- Psychotherapy (during psychotherapy, you learn about your condition and your moods, feelings, thoughts and behaviors).
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), a form of talking therapy which can be used to treat people with a wide range of mental health problems
- Assessment & management of suicidal thoughts and feelings
- Peer support & mentorship
This service is available to all members of the Traveller community across Ireland. Individual counselling and consultation can be done over the phone, online or face to face (where restrictions permit).
The team is made up of Travellers and non-Travellers who work together to provide a holistic range of services to best suit individuals and groups from the Traveller community.
Members of the Traveller community can access the service by phoning our duty line Monday – Friday between the hours of 9AM – 5PM (4PM on Fridays). External services can also refer clients to Exchange House by phoning the service to receive a referral form via email.