Getting Help For The First Time - Mental Health, Dublin West and South West

Reasons to get help for your mental health -

Advice on what you should do if you are worried about somebody close to you.

What should I do when I need to access a mental health service?

The first thing to do is to contact a GP. They will assess your problem and may either provide medication or monitoring or both. Very often, a GP will be able to help you with mental health issues without having to refer you to a specialist service. If your GP does refer you to your local community mental health team, the team you see will depend on where you live.

If contacting a GP is not possible for you, you can also get help from our services through a hospital Emergency Department.

Information on emergency access to mental health services

Referral to the Community Mental Health Services

If you’re aged between 18 and 65 years, the local Community Mental Health Team will provide your service. The first appointment you’ll receive will usually be for the New Patient Clinic.

If you’re over 65 years at the time of referral, the Psychiatry of Later Life Team will provide your service and you’ll receive an appointment for their New Patient Service.

If you are aged under 18 years, the service may be provided by the HSE Local Health Office consultant psychiatrist who specialises in working with under 18s.