Model of Care
'Cystic Fibrosis - A Model of Care for Ireland' was launched by Minister for Health Simon Harris TD on September 30th 2019.
The Model of Care has been developed by the HSE National Clinical Programme for Cystic Fibrosis (NCPCF) and it outlines how the care of people with Cystic Fibrosis should be organised and resourced now and in the future. One of the key recommendations of the Model is that People with Cystic Fibrosis must be cared for in a small number of Designated Cystic Fibrosis Centres that are properly staffed and resourced. People with Cystic Fibrosis must receive their CF care from , and have regular follow-up by, a Designated Cystic Fibrosis Centre.
In this new Model of Care, Specialist CF Centres will:
- Have a specialist multidisciplinary team of trained experienced CF Specialist Medical, Nursing, Health and Social Care Professional and Administrative Staff
- Have dedicated single inpatient rooms, and day care rooms with ensuite facilities and outpatient rooms for assessment/treatment of People with CF (PWCF)
- Have strict infection control facilities and protocols in place for inpatient, outpatient and day care to prevent cross infection from other PWCF and from other patients
- Have Consultants with a special interest in CF in the following specialties: Endocrinology, Gastroentorology, Hepatology, Nephrology, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology (ENT), Palliative Care, Psychiatry, Radiology including Interventional Radiology, and Thoracic Surgery
- Be designated as a 'Specialist CF Centre' by the National Clinical Programme for Cystic Fibrosis (NCPCF)
These centres are supported in delivering CF care on an ad-hoc basis by smaller non-specialist paediatric centres; agreed service delivery plans and improved communication pathways will be developed to ensure safe and effective shared care for paediatric CF patients, delivered under the oversight of the Specialist CF Centre.
This first Model of Care for CF in Ireland is the roadmap for CF care now and in the future. It will ensure that CF care and service improvements are evidence-based and cost-effective.
Click here to download 'Cystic Fibrosis - A Model of Care for Ireland'
Click here to download our Key Points brochure