Universal Access

Supports for people with Disabilities in the HSE under Part 3 Disability Act 2005

The HSE appointed a National Specialist in Accessibility who provides guidance, advice and strategic support in the promotion of access for people with disabilities. The purpose of the role is also to develop a strategic framework for the implementation of Part 3 of the Disability Act 2005 in the HSE.

The Specialist will develop a plan to achieve compliance with Part 3 of the Disability Act, specifically in relation to actions 25-44 of the Department of Health and Children’s Sectoral Plan. The post is based within the Advocacy Unit and works closely with the HSE National Disability Unit.

The HSE has a network of designated access officers in order to comply with Section 26 of the Disability Act 2005. Designated access officers will be located throughout the country. Further updates will be posted on this site regarding contact details of designated access officers once they have been assigned.

For further details on the above please contact:

Caoimhe Gleeson, General Manager, 

National Office for Human Rights and Equality Policy, HSE, Dungloe Community Hospital, Dungloe, Co Donegal

Phone: 087 6504793

Email: caoimhe.gleeson@hse.ie

List of current access officers

National Guidelines for Accessible Health and Social Care Services

We are responsible for the provision of guidance, advice and strategic support in the promotion of access for people with disabilities in mainstream health services and provide support for compliance with Part 3 of the Disability Act 2005.

We also have a role in developing policy and practice on a range of equality issues including Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender health.

How to Lodge a Complaint of Non-Compliance with the Disability Act 2005

You can make a complaint to HSE under the Disability Act if you consider that we have failed to comply with Sections 25 to 29 (inclusive) of the Act.

How to make a complaint: HSE Your Service Your Say

Further Investigation Options

If you are not satisfied with this response, you can refer your complaint (and our replies) to the Ombudsman for consideration.

Further information

The Disability Act 2005 can be downloaded from oireachtas.ie. For further accessibility information, go to the website of the National Disability Authority.