The Consultants Division is responsible for the regulation of the number and type of medical consultant posts. The core functions of the Consultants Division are to provide administrative support to the Consultant Applications Advisory Committee (CAAC) and Type C committees and to expedite the consultant application and approval process.
Consultants Division Contact Details
Consultants Division Communication Channels.pdf (size 674.8 KB)
Consultant Applications Advisory Committee
The Consultants Division processes all applications for consideration by the Consultant Applications Advisory Committee (CAAC).
The role of CAAC is to provide independent and objective advice to the HSE on applications and qualifications required for consultant posts. The recommendations of CAAC are then submitted to the National Director of Human Resources and, if a post is approved, the Consultants Division issues the Letter of Approval (LOA).
Type C Committee
Applications by consultants for a Type C contract, to enable off-site practice for doctors in addition to their public commitment, are also processed within the Consultants Division.
- Application submitted to Consultants Division by relevant HG / CHO
- Consultants Division screen application to ensure all content is completed and supporting documents have been submitted
- Once step 2 is complete, Consultants Division send the application to Acute Operations who complete a similar screening task and hold their own meeting at which applications are discussed for endorsement
- Applications are returned to the Consultants Division from AO. Those that have been endorsed can then proceed to be added to the agenda for consideration at the next Type C meeting. Applications which have not been endorsed by AO will require further follow up, which is completed by Consultants Division on their behalf
- Once queries raised by AO are addressed appropriately, Consultants Division return the application to AO for discussion at their next meeting. Step 3 is repeated.
- Once application is recommended for approval by Type C, it is then sent to HSE CEO for final approval
- Once approval is given, the approval letter is drafted and distributed
Type C applications can be submitted from the Clinical Site, via the relevant CHO or Hospital Group, to the Consultants Division by email: email@example.com