This section will provide you with information on the work we undertake and the various programmes, which we fund including information on scholarships and fellowships, financial supports for exams, flexible training opportunities and much more.
The site provides regular updates for trainees and trainers on various aspects of medical training. We are involved in the training of Doctors at all stages of the career pathway. Further details are available by clicking on the relevant tabs to the left of the screen.
Check out our Diary Dates section to see what is new and make a note of important upcoming events.
Pictured above, Dr Brian Kinirons
Medical Director of the National Doctors Training and Planning Department
Clinical Education & Training (E&T) Pilot
NDTP has long been supportive of improving training supports at site level through clinical leadership. In 2016 NDTP created a role, that of Hospital Group Training Lead. There are now nine Training Leads appointed across five hospital groups (Saolta, ULHG, SSWHG, IEHG & DMHG).The Training Lead programme is however limited in terms of resources and funding currently available.
The Clinical Education & Training (E&T) model will see the establishment within two pilot Hospital Groups, each led by a NDTP Group Clinical Director of Education & Training (CD E&T). Each NDTP Site Consultant for Education & Training (CE&T) will report to the NDTP Group CD E&T. The proposed model will be required to adhere to a defined set of principles. The final principles will ultimately be agreed by the pilot steering group, however they will include:
- o Protection of time for the Clinical E&T roles
- o Appropriate administration support Clinical E&T roles
- o Ensure supports Model 2 & 3 not just Model 4 hospitals.
- o Open competition for the Clinical E&T roles.
o Clinical E&T roles must be focused on cross specialty.
- The two Hospital Groups selected.
- The pilot for both will commence in July 2022 so aim to recruit asap.
- The Group CD E&T will be appointed at Hospital Group level.
- A Clinical E&T project steering group will be convened to oversee the pilot project.
For further details click to download NDTP Group Clinical Director of Education & Training Job description