National Policy on the Prevention and Management of Infection Post Transrectal Ultrasound (TRUS Guided Prostate Biopsy)
The National Policy on the Prevention and Management of Infection following Transrectal Ultrasound (TRUS) Guided Prostate Biopsy has been completed by the NCCP Prostate TRUS Infection Project Board, which was co-chaired by Dr. Fidelma Fitzpatrick, Consultant Microbiologist and National Clinical Lead for the prevention of Healthcare-associated Infection and Antimicrobial Resistance and by Mr. David Galvin, Consultant Urologist, Mater and SVUH and Chair of NCCP Prostate Cancer Clinical Leads Group.
The National Policy on the Prevention and Management of Infection Post Transrectal Ultrasound (TRUS Guided Prostate Biopsy) outlines recommendations for:
- Screening of patients for antimicrobial resistant organisms pre TRUS-guided prostate biopsy (pages 8-11)
- The appropriate antimicrobial prophylaxis regimen pre biopsy (pages 11-14)
- Infection prevention and control considerations (pages 14-15)
- Monitoring infectious complications following TRUS-guided prostate biopsy (pages 17-21)
- Key performance indicators to be reported into the NCCP (page 21)
- Management of patients with suspected/confirmed infection following TRUS-guided prostate biopsy (pages 21-24)
Policy document is available to download here.
In addition, a new patient information leaflet has been developed for patients regarding TRUS-guided prostate biopsy which will be available in due course at this website
updated 11th June 2014