The Health Services Change Guide is a step by step guide that will help you to lead and bring about change. It features helpful and practical advice from practitioners, leaders, service users and staff. You will also find evidence to back-up the approach.
Our focus is on people and culture. This Change Guide works as part of our Human Resource and other service, quality improvement and culture change programmes. In line with our Health Services People Strategy 2019-2024 all of these programmes are bringing us closer to our goal of delivering person-centred care and public value.
People are at the centre of all of our initiatives. The Health Service Change Guide focuses in particular on People’s Need Defining Change. It provides guidance on working with Service Users, Families, Citizens, Communities and Staff to understand their needs better when undertaking change. It can be used at all levels to support managers and staff. It should help us all improve how we bring about change. The guide also provides useful information on the context to organisational change.
A summary booklet of the Change Guide is also available for download.
E-Learning programme for the Health Services Change Guide
The eLearning programme to accompany the change guide takes you through all you need to know about people and culture change in 4 accessible modules.
It provides you with practical help including tools and resources to support your service improvements and is relevant for staff at all levels.
You can access the eLearning programme on HSELanD.
What is the Health Services Change Guide?
- It is the agreed approach to change signed off by the HSE and Trade Unions.
- It is a hands-on guide to help managers and staff across the health and social care system to make change and deal with real service issues.
- It consists of:
What is the Health Services Change Framework?
The Change Framework brings together all the elements you need to focus on to deliver change. The change outcomes are safer better healthcare and services that are valued by the public and by staff.
- It places People’s Needs Defining Change at the centre of all change initiatives.
- It recognises that change is essentially about people.
- It prioritises engagement - ‘people support the change they help to create’.
- It focuses on a People and Culture Change Platform to prepare an environment where change can be encouraged and developed.
- It provides guidance on the change activities:
- Define what needs to change and clarify why
- Design a better future with all key people involved
- Deliver and sustain the change
Why would teams use the Change Guide?
It increases your chance of success by:
- providing all the help you need to carry out change and improve services
- guiding you on how best to work with service users, families and staff to understand their needs, value their experiences and design service improvements.
It simplifies change in a complex system by:
- recognising the importance of working with people in their own situation to design and deliver change that meets their specific needs and local context
- providing an opportunity to connect change and service improvement initiatives at local and national level
It helps people to do change well by:
- helping teams to develop the ability to carry out change initiatives with confidence
- guiding you through the change process in detail, with lots of helpful resources
Change Guide Newsletter Submission - March 2019.pdf (size 605.1 KB)
Change Guide Newsletter Submission - June 2019.pdf (size 761.4 KB)
Health Services Change Guide - Update on implementation.pdf (size 1.3 MB)