Comments from the Expert Advisory Committee
- Assess using the CRB-65 score (Confusion, Respiratory rate ≥ 30/min, BP ≤90/60, Age ≥ 65)
- Start antibiotics immediately
- Review if symptoms are not improving as expected with antibiotics and escalate therapy, or consider hospital referral.
- At convalescence, ensure influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations up to date.
Treatment Table - Community Acquired Pneumonia
Assess using the CRB-65 score (each symptom or sign scores one point)
(Confusion, Respiratory rate ≥ 30/min, BP ≤ 90/60, Age ≥ 65)
* Alternative doxycycline dose: 100mg every 12 hours.
In non-severe infection, 200mg stat then 100mg every 24 hours can be considered.
Reviewed February 2021