Keeping antibiotics effective for future generations -it's everyone's responsibility
Antimicrobial resistance is a growing and significant threat to public health that is compromising our ability to treat infections effectively. It is widely acknowledged that antibiotic resistance is driven by high rates of antibiotic prescribing and it is critical that we work to reduce unnecessary antibiotic use. Evidence-based antimicrobial guidelines are a key tool in efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing, reduce the progression of antibiotic resistance and optimise patient outcomes.
The HSE Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control (AMRIC) Oversight Group, chaired by the Chief Clinical Officer provides organisational oversight and governance for this area of work. The work of the AMRIC Oversight Group is supported by the AMRIC Division of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre HPSC.
This community antimicrobial stewardship tool supports the implementation of:
- To provide a simple, best guess approach to the treatment of common infections
- To promote the safe and effective use of antibiotics
- To minimise the emergence of bacterial resistance in the community
Back to top
The Summary of Products Characteristics (SPC) for any given medicinal product should be referred to as the primary reference source for information relating to that medicine. The SmPC contains the most up to date information on all licensed indications for use for any given medicine. Visit the Health Products Regulatory Authority's website for SPCs for products licensed in Ireland.
An Ireland specific medicines subscription reference the Irish Medicines Formulary (IMF) is published twice yearly in A5 Book or online www.imfmedia.ie
Primary Care Antimicrobial Guidelines Editorial Group
Primary Care Antimicrobial Guidelines Expert Advisory Group and Content Contributors – Multidisciplinary group with General Practice & Clinical Specialists, Microbiology & Infectious Diseases specialists, Pharmacy, Public Health, Infection Control Nurse and Surveillance Scientists represented.
For specific queries or feedback on guidelines on this website, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the website working group.
- Dr Nuala O’Connor, GP (Co-Chair), GP Lead AMRIC Division of HPSC and ICGP Irish College of General Practitioners.
- Bernie Love, Chief Antimicrobial Pharmacist (Co-Chair), HSE Community Operations
- Marie Philbin, Chief Antimicrobial Pharmacist AMRIC Division HPSC.
- Siobhan McCarthy, Web Editor, Health Intelligence, Research & Evidence, HSE.
- Prof. Martin Cormican, Consultant Microbiologist and Clinical Lead HSE AMRIC
- Dr. Eimear Brannigan, Consultant in Infectious Diseases, AMRIC Division HPSC
Community Antimicrobial Pharmacists co-ordinate reviews and updates of content on the website, linking between content teams and the website working group/web editor. They are also available at local level within the CHO for advice and support relating to antimicrobial use and antimicrobial stewardship.
|Area of practice
(Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan)
(Clare, Limerick, North Tipperary)
(South Tipperary, Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford)
(Laois, Offaly, Longford, Westmeath, Louth, Meath)
Alphabetical listing of current website contributors:
- Ajay Oza, Surveillance scientist, HPSC
- Aisling Rafferty, Paediatric Antimicrobial Pharmacist
- Dr. Alida Fe Talento, Consultant Microbiologist
- Amy Flynn, Community Pharmacist
- Dr. Anna-Rose Prior, Consultant Microbiologist
- Dr. Anne Sheehan, Department of Public Health
- Dr. Aoife Fleming, School of Pharmacy, UCC
- Carmel McKenna, Antimicrobial Pharmacist
- Ciara Kirke, Clinical Lead, HSE Medication Safety
- Dr. Cillian de Gascun, Consultant Virologist & Lab. Director NVRL
- Dr. Claire Healy, Dental Council of Ireland
- Dr. Cliodhna Ni Bhuachalla, Consultant Microbiologist & Lecturer, UCC
- Prof. Colin Bradley, General Practice, UCC
- Dr. Daniel Hare, Microbiologist SPR
- Dr. Deirdre O'Brien, Consultant Microbiologist
- Dr. Desmond Murphy, Consultant Respiratory Physician & National Clinical Lead in Respiratory Medicine
- Dr. Elaine Walsh, GP and Clinical Lecturer, UCC
- Dr. Fidelma Fitzpatrick, Consultant Microbiologist & Lecturer RCSI
- Dr. Fiona Lyons, Clinical Lead in Sexual Health, HSE Sexual Health and Crisis Pregnancy Programme
- Dr. Frank Ormsby, Dentist
- Gareth Clancy, Community Pharmacist.
- Dr. Joseph Green, Dentist & National Oral Health Lead.
- Kara Tedford, Paediatric Antimicrobial Pharmacist
- Dr. Karen Burns, Consultant Microbiologist, HPSC
- Dr. Kirsten Fitzgerald, Consultant Paediatric Dental Surgeon, CHI Clinical Lead for Paediatric Dentistry.
- Lorna Quigley, Antimicrobial Pharmacist, IAPG Chair
- Dr. Lucinda Dockeray, GP, ICGP Nursing Home Interest group
- Mairead McGuire, Chief Pharmacist, Coombe
- Dr. Margaret Creedon, Microbiologist SPR
- Dr. Mary Short, GP, ICGP Director Women’s Health
- Dr. Minna Geisler, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
- Dr. Niamh Galvin, Assistant National Oral Health Lead Quality
- Dr. Niamh Lynn, Consultant Microbiologist
- Olive Smyth, Medical Officer, HPRA
- Dr. Oonagh Molloy, Consultant Dermatologist
- Dr. Paul McDonald, GP, ICGP Nursing Home Interest group
- Dr. Paul Ryan, GP, ICGP Therapeutics Lead
- Prof. Paula O'Leary, Consultant Immunologist and Lecturer, UCC
- Dr. Richard Drew, Consultant Microbiologist
- Dr. Rob Cunney, Consultant Microbiologist
- Dr. Roisin Connolly, Microbiologist SPR
- Sarah Clarke, Chief Pharmacist, HSE Medicines Management Programme
- Dr. Sile O'Connor, Antimicrobial Pharmacist
- Dr. Siobhan Twohig, GP
- Orla Fahy, Antimicrobial Pharmacist
- Dr. Vincent Tormey, Consultant Immunologist
Reviewed December 2020
Back to top